Thursday, January 15, 2009

Getting Back

Every time I gripe about how badly I want to leave this city, or about how much the Midwest sucks, I should really drive down I70. As cheesy in writing and in speech as I can get, I must articulate exactly how gorgeous Kansas can be.



1. Sometime this past fall, I saw hundreds and hundreds of birds migrating- but not only were they simply flying in the sky above me, it was the entire picture before me as I was driving. There was a lake, a sunset, leaves blowing, trees in the distance and dark and light clouds of all shapes ... the colors of the sunset contrasted with the darkness trying to linger in was breathtaking. It was as if the dark was asking permission to creep in on the gorgeous glory of the sun, clouds, and hundreds of birds in a V flying on by. The lake was glimmering and my jaw had long been dropped.

2. Tonight, I would have never noticed this lake if it weren't for the moonlight glimmering upon its surface. The sky is clear and the half moon was bright.

3. Void of nature, but my stomach beckoning, I committed the sin of the late night McDonalds run. There in the distance- were the searchlights. (Really? Mcdonalds has search lights?! wow... ) As I'm driving I see the big yellow M in the distance. After all the nature, the M was the perfect sign of our times, and of course I submit to all its yellow and round glory. (Ok, that was a bit much- I hate fast food! Kill me now :p) I had to just laugh out loud.

I really enjoy listening to the BBC at midnight -6am GMT. I can see London bustling around , and everyone trying to get to work when , I'm here, about to go to sleep....

zzz,
my

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Ah! lakes and the Moon are always beautiful! I'm glad you noticed the beauty in things you don't usually notice :) helps you love the place where u live, like, makes u think not everything sucks :D

Unknown said...

Midwest... I'll just enjoy the pics from here lol

MY said...

Femme- Exactly.

Thrice- I just try to make the best of everything... bla bla.

dalipstick- It can be., you just have to make a point to try and see it.

Errant Gosling said...

Sounds great. Glad you made it back safely.

Em said...

I succumb to the golden arches too. I rather love them M's - worldover.

...love Jillian said...

I'm always saying how I want to leave this area, however, when I do; I always come back!

Something about KC just sucks you in....