Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Null and not Void

Being here in Oman was the most selfless thing I have done in a long time.

Im totally refreshed. and truly new.

For the first time in a long time, ive realized how selfish I have been in the past.
Life gets distracting when you are juggling so many things, you lose perspective- and forget whats important. This is soppy- but hear me out, cuz its so true.

We so often complain about the things that we dont have, or the things in life that we want- or the pressures and sacrifices we have made-- We also very often forget that the world we create for ourselves is not the high all end all. There are other people in your life that may need you. There are people in your life that truly have your best interest at heart. We are selfish. Our culture can be a selfish and sick one- if you let it dictate you. Families dont want to get involved in eachothers lives, cuz we all make sure that we are not stepping on eachothers tails, or that we are getting too close. What happened to the days when you called your brother or good friend just to say hello and see whats going on in their life.. ask about them perhaps? -- without them asking what it is you want? I wonder how many people out there take time out of their lives to just call others that mean something to them, without really xpecting anything in return.Maybe im exagerrating a bit- because I know plenty of families that do do that, including my own- and im very thankful for that.

I dont know how I got on that tangent. I guess I suddenly realized how much I have learned by being here- as the time comes nearer for me to leave.

I thank God. Without God and religion, we are nothing. Without it, we can easily neglect to count the blessings in our lives, and truly mean it.

Now go call your mother.

xoxo...
...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just called my mom this Sunday! But now I feel guilty!

Unknown said...

I can relate to what you wrote, especially since my Dad is in the hospital. I can tell you stories and tales of the "closest" family who have interacted on one level or another in a superficial manner

Anonymous said...

best piece i've read for some time now.

social systems of the old days when you would visit people on weekends and get together for a dinner or just a gathering, are completely dying out :(

saddens me to say the least.

but i still feel things are better in oman. people do have time for friends and the like.

wonder what you would have to say if you visit a place like bombay!

anywaym lovely piece of writing there :)

cheers!

Miss Merry said...

i absolutely agree. our culture can be so selfish and superficial. it is easy to get caught up in that. it was very refreshing to read this post.