Thursday, July 24, 2008

Social Ecosystem

Im sitting in Marco Polo Hotel in Dubai. Ive been in this hotel room all morning because I have been craving and forcing myself to park down. take a breather. and think.

Im excited about what the Arab Gulf is doing. There are many business opps here, but why isnt there an aquarium? or an amusement park? or a proper zoo? It made me think about all the American influences I have about what other forms of entertainment there may be besides nightlife, shopping, eating and this constant consumerism- the things that I used to enjoy when I was a kid. What ever happened to good old fashion healthy fun? Dubai is still thinking about building more and more towers. This place needs a Sea World or something. I also thought about how there are not enough things to do for children over here. Its a complete adult world, and I wouldnt take my kid out at night here. A lot of risk for too much -exposure- for children at a young age.

Its easy to get into your own head, and create a world for yourself here because everything around you seems familiar. Im sitting in a nice hotel room, watching CNN -"Black in America" on a large flat screened LG TV. I hear police sirens outside, Im wearing my teal bebe terry cloth pants, munched on a few Jelly Bellys, -- point is, every material thing I have makes me feel right at home. Right Ok with myself. Even as I think about going down to the lobby, socializing, or doing whatever it is I do in a day- things are not as different on the OUTSIDE as people may think. Im still surprised with how many americans have no idea where Dubai is. Maybe its the midwest...

working here is a different ballgame. An american would saturate himself with other americans here, and do american things, and feel right at home. To have both worlds around you all the time, is definately harder to decipher. Arab, american,iraqi, muslim.

Todays Motto: Listen to your own voice.

1 comment:

Errant Gosling said...

What an intriguing life you've led. I have nothing to compare it too. We seem about as different as they come, but you seem familiar, nevertheless.

I envy your globe trotting, and your life experience has been so very different than mine. My stories seem boring by comparison. But I feel I can relate some how; your writing, I think. You do this well.